[llvm-dev] trunc nsw/nuw?

Alexandre Isoard via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jul 4 09:15:13 PDT 2017

Hi,

My motivation was to allow clang to keep the semantic information for "long
long" to "int" cast. I assume the C/C++ semantic does not specify the
behavior in case of overflow for signed integers. Which means we can assume
(trust the programmer!?) that signed overflow/underflow do not happen on
the truncation. Unsigned integer is "unfortunately" probably properly
defined in C/C++.

Note that it might be useful to have a nuw attribute at C/C++ level as
well, that could be applied to unsigned integer variables by the programmer
when he wants to be nice to his preferred compiler.

My true motivation behind that is because I end-up with trunc/sext for
getelementptr arguments sometimes and I would love to get rid of the
spurious ones. They are mostly caused by users casting a size_t into an int
on a 64 bit architecture and using that as an array index. I am not sure I
am allowed to say that the size_t to int cast is a signed cast.

Then in OpenCL (spir64):

int i = get_global_id(0); // returns a size_t
short val = i;
... = val * A[i];

would become:

    %global_id.0 = i64 get_global_id(i32 0)
    %i = trunc nsw i64 %global_id.0 to i32
    %idx = sext i32 %i to i64
    %A.addr = gep i16, i16* %A.ptr, i64 %idx
    %A.val = load i16 %A.addr
    %i.val = trunc nsw i32 %i to i16
    %val = mul nsw i16 %i, %A.val

And I can get rid of the truncation for the gep (and can "upgrade" the i16
computation to i32 in LLVM if I want so).
Does that make sense?

Best regard.

--
*Alexandre Isoard*