[llvm-dev] (RFC) Adjusting default loop fully unroll threshold

Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jan 30 17:03:56 PST 2017

The general direction here seems fine (we should re-evaluate these kinds of
thresholds from time to time).

The other high level question I have here is: why 2x? Why not 4x?

I think it would be good to show some data from a reasonable spread and
where some reasonable point is in the curve to draw the line.

I'm also mildly worried about basing something like this on SPEC which
involves relatively small programs. It might be good to ask others to
provide data as well on code size / performance tradeoffs for larger
applications. (Chrome for example.)

And it might be worth writing down the methodology used to set the
thresholds so we start gaining some consistency on this front.