[llvm-dev] [RFC] Queries for LLVM version

Nemanja Ivanovic via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jan 25 22:45:46 PST 2017

This has actually come up in the context of a JIT, but I think that having
the functionality in general could be useful.

Currently, there does not appear to be an API in LLVM to query for LLVM
version information. In the particular context where this came up, LLVM is
used as a shared library and various functionality (and bug fixes) used by
the JIT is available in various LLVM versions. So it would be quite
convenient to be able to dynamically determine the version that happens to
be loaded.

Honestly, I am not completely clear on what the best place for something
like this would be, but it appears that the following seems like a natural
choice:

llvm::VersionPrinter in lib/Support/CommandLine.cpp already queries this
data so it might make sense for it to expose the following API's (as part
of VersionPrinter, accessed through the instance):
llvm::cl::getVersionMajor()
llvm::cl::getVersionMinor()
llvm::cl::getVersionPatch()