[llvm-dev] Should analyses be able to hold AssertingVH to IR? (related to PR28400)

Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 24 11:59:38 PST 2017

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 8:19 AM Mehdi Amini via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Another view of it is that there should be another handle that triggers
> the invalidation of the analysis when this IR is changed: i.e. keeping the
> analysis cached while it holds a reference to the IR can be seen as the
> problem.

The issue is only with Asserting VH, not with other kinds of value handles
though. So with those, we would have different invalidation in NDEBUG from
!NDEBUG? Or would you always do this invalidation?

I guess I'm not too clear what the concrete approach here would be.