[llvm-dev] RFC: LLD range extension thunks

Peter Smith via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 19 03:55:55 PST 2017

The implementation will have to handle different branch ranges within
the same architecture, on ARM alone there are at least 3 ranges that
we'd have to handle within the same link [*].

At this stage I'd like to keep it simple and just handle the case of
redirecting a relocation to a target T to a thunk that will ultimately
transfer control to T.

I do have an interest in relaxation, primarily as a way to implement
errata patching, overwrite instruction with a branch to a patch thunk,
then return to a following instruction. However I think that is
something that can be built later as it is a generalisation of what we
would need for range extension thunks.

[*] A later revision of the ARM ELF document clarified that the linker
should not add Thunks for 16-bit Thumb branches, it is the
responsibility of the code-generator/author to only use these
instructions when the range to the target can be guaranteed. See Call
and Jump relocations on Page 33
http://infocenter.arm.com/help/topic/com.arm.doc.ihi0044f/IHI0044F_aaelf.pdf