[llvm-dev] Loop Invariants Detection questions

Thomas RUBIANO via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jan 18 02:56:44 PST 2017

Ty Eli for your answer.

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 8:11 PM, Friedman, Eli <efriedma at codeaurora.org>
wrote:

> On 1/17/2017 7:12 AM, Thomas RUBIANO via llvm-dev wrote:
>
>> Hi all!
>>
>> I'm new here, and would like to implement my own Loop Invariant Detection
>> adding some more information on Quasi-Invariants.
>>
>> First, is there anything about Quasi-Invariants detection in LLVM I would
>> missed?
>>
>> I've seen LICM using LoopInfo::isLoopInvariant for finding invariants.
>> It seems that this method considers a Value invariant if:
>> - it's an Instruction not presents in the current loop (what does it
>> mean? There is no dependence analysis on In and Out "variables" of all
>> instructions in the loop?)
>>

> isLoopInvariant just checks whether the definition of a value is an
> instruction inside the loop.

Ok, the term "definition" makes it clear. Do, if here it's:
%1 = load i32, i32* %fact, align 4
%mul = mul nsw i32 %1, %2

load i32, i32* %fact, align 4 is the def of %1 and it's inside the loop
then it's not invariant…

> - this Value is not an Instruction (then a Constant I guess…).
>>

> Or an function argument, or a few other obscure things which don't really
> matter in this context.
>
> I've seen LoopAccessAnalysis using it too. What does this analysis do
>> exactly on loop invariant address?
>>

> ScalarEvolution::isLoopInvariant works on SCEV expressions instead of
> Values, but it's essentially the same thing.

What can offer this SCEV expression more than Values?

>> Also DependenceAnalysis seems to give dependence information on memory
>> refs. But it seems to not be used by LICM…
>>

> Yes, the current LICM uses alias analysis in a more direct manner (look
> for AliasSetTracker).
>

>> Also MemoryDependenceAnalysis "determines, for a given memory operation,
>> what preceding memory operations it depends on".
>>
>> My question is: Where is really done this dependence analysis. The one
>> which figures out which Instructions depends on others?
>>
>> Simply if I have:
>> %0 = load i32, i32* %coucou, align 4
>> %1 = load i32, i32* %fact, align 4
>> %2 = load i32, i32* %i, align 4
>> %mul = mul nsw i32 %1, %2
>>
>> mul instruction will depends on the two precedents loads because it uses
>> their results %1 and %2 but not the first one.
>>
>> I guess this is done somewhere, and there is a special representation of
>> this information but I didn't find, I'm a bit lost ^^'
>>

> If you call "operands()" on the Instruction, it will return %1 and %2.
> Please keep in mind that LLVM IR is SSA.

Yes but if I understand well, the AliasSetTracker can tell me which load it
corresponds to…
How can I use this AliasSetTracker to disambiguate the registers?
Here it's just having the correspondence %1 → %fact and %2 → %i

It would be just perfect for me to have the "real" In and Out of each
Instruction.
Maybe I should work on another level or with another object representation?

Ty again :)

--
 RUBIANO Thomas