[llvm-dev] Git Transition status?

Daniel Berlin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jan 16 00:35:50 PST 2017

Something like that.
FWIW: This is not surprising.

When i moved GCC from CVS to SVN, the older versions of CVS had bugs that
the SVN importer couldn't handle, and i essentially had to rewrite
subversion's cvs2svn to make it work (plus, it was originally so slow it
would have taken 2 real-time months to do the import).

On the plus side, once we fixed all the bugs, we also were able to get  RCS
history into the SVN history :)

On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 12:29 AM, Alexander Benikowski via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> So the Github-Importer screws up the old dark places of the SVN-History
> and the scripts try to handle this?

> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>:
>
>> I've been working on some scripting for re-converting the svn repository
>> into git.
>>
>> The existing git conversions are entirely sufficient for day-to-day
>> development purposes, but not up to the standard (at least, *my* standard)
>> for replacing svn as the authoritative source repository. For one example,
>> clang.git doesn't actually go back to the first commit of clang, because
>> weird stuff happened early in the svn history that threw off git-svn.
>>
>> Here's my work in progress, but there's still more work to be done:
>> https://github.com/jyknight/llvm-git-migration
>> <https://github.com/jyknight/llvm-monorepo> (conversion scripts)
>> https://github.com/jyknight/llvm-monorepo (test repository)
>>

>> On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 4:07 PM, Keane, Erich via llvm-dev <
>> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all-
>>> I was wondering if anyone knew what the status/schedule of the SVN to
>>> git/github transition was?  I thought I saw that at the November meeting it
>>> was agreed upon, but I'm not sure I saw any progress since?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Erich