[llvm-dev] RFC: Building GlobalISel by default

Mehdi Amini via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Jan 14 10:53:22 PST 2017

> On Jan 14, 2017, at 4:57 AM, Renato Golin via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> On 14 January 2017 at 01:54, Quentin Colombet via llvm-dev
> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>> Now, four backends (if I am counting right: X86, ARM, AArch64, AMDGPU) are working on bringing-up GlobalISel, I’d like to switch the default of the LLVM_BUILD_GLOBAL_ISEL variable in CMake, such that the framework gets built by default.
>
> Hi Quentin,
>
> I'm not extremely confident in a full switch right now, mainly due to
> Michael's concerns. The ARM port is in its initial stage and there
> could still be many refactorings and destructive changes. I'm not
> foreseeing a cross between the isel tests, but every failure makes the
> bots red, and if Global ISel incurs in more failures due to its stage
> in the development cycle, we'll start seeing the bots more red than
> we'd like. Right now, it's already very likely that you'll receive bot
> emails on commits, I don't want to increase that.

I don’t see why having global ISel is supposed to increase the rate. `make check` will runs on the committer machine with GlobalISel enabled.

The good question from Michael is IMO "if my (non-GlobalISel) change breaks GlobalISel, how likely is it to be a bug in my code vs. a bug in GlobalISel?”

But that’s totally unrelated to the bots, since it’ll fails on the committer machine as well.

This is in place for months: http://lab.llvm.org:8080/green/job/clang-stage1-cmake-RA-globalisel/

> As soon as we can self-host and pass the test-suite, I think we can
> enable it by default.

I don’t understand why it is an interesting property to be able to pass the test-suite to have `make check` testing it.

> Some comments inline...
>

>> * Upsides *
>>
>> For people developing on GlobalISel, it will:
>> - Simplify the CMake command to type :)
>> - Build/Test GlobalISel on all the LLVM bots
>
> This is already covered by the people developing Global ISel on the
> different architectures. As an experimental feature, I'm ok with the
> round time of "ARM developers picking up x86 code breaking their
> stuff".
>

>> For people not developing on GlobalISel, it will:
>> - Test that GlobalISel still works with your changes (make check will test that for you)
>
> A separate buildbot will do that for you.
>

>> - Allow you to play with it!
>
> The cost of adding one CMake option is really small.
>

>> * Downsides *
>>
>> For people developing on GlobalISel, it will:
>> - Leave the status as it is now, meaning that mainly only people working on GlobalISel look at the failures of GlobalISel specific bots
>
> If we already have those, I don't see why we need more. We're not
> self-hosting not passing the test-suite. the "check-all" tests should
> not matter which platform they run.

The `check-all` are *not* testing GlobalISel right now because GlobalISel is not *built* on the bots. This is *exactly* the point of the proposal: have `make` building the global isel code on every platform, and have `make check` testing the lit-tests for GlobalISel on every platform.
This is *not* about enabling GlobalISel  *by default* on any target AFAIK.

—
Mehdi