[llvm-dev] [RFC] IR-level Region Annotations

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 12 17:02:12 PST 2017

On 01/12/2017 06:20 PM, Reid Kleckner via llvm-dev wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 8:13 PM, Mehdi Amini <mehdi.amini at apple.com
> <mailto:mehdi.amini at apple.com>> wrote:
>
>     Can you elaborate why? I’m curious.
>

> The con of proposal c was that many passes would need to learn about
> many region intrinsics. With tokens, you only need to teach all passes
> about tokens, which they should already know about because WinEH and
> other things use them.
>
> With tokens, we can add as many region-introducing intrinsics as makes
> sense without any additional cost to the middle end. We don't need to
> make one omnibus region intrinsic set that describes every parallel
> loop annotation scheme supported by LLVM. Instead we would factor
> things according to other software design considerations.

I think that, unless we allow frontends to add their own intrinsics
without recompiling LLVM, this severely restricts the usefulness of this
feature. The motivation here is to support frontends inserting custom
region annotations which are handled by custom passes the frontends
inject into the (end of the) pipeline.

  -Hal

Hal Finkel
Leadership Computing Facility