[llvm-dev] Default hashing function for integers (DenseMapInfo.h)

Francois Fayard via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 10 07:35:25 PST 2017

> It is not clear what the test-case is (what source, what compiler options). My suspicion is that your differences are in the noise, and most of the time is spent doing other things than hashing. Did you profile the a run, and check how much of the total time is spent in the hash-function [you may need to tweak the code a bit to not inline the actual hash function]. Also publishing the RANGE for each set of tests, since the variation between "best and worst" may be more important than the overall best time.

I agree that I did not present a clear test case, which was just a random .cpp file that benchmarks different hash tables from LLVM/Google/STL compiled with -O3 option. I’ll try to make it better tomorrow, but I can assure you that it was not the noise. I have disabled turboboost and hyper-threading on my machine and ran the benchmark 10 times for every test and the difference was way larger than the observed standard deviation. But anyway, for the time being, the winner for hashing pointers is the current one from of LLVM.

> Counting the number of collisions or some such would probably also help.

Yes, I could do that. If I want to report all the collision, I might do that in the destructor of DenseMap. Sorry for my ignorance, but is clang/llvm multithreaded? Is it safe to write to a file in a destructor for logging purposes?

François Fayard