[llvm-dev] RFC: LLD range extension thunks

Rui Ueyama via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 5 01:52:35 PST 2017

Hi Peter,

Here are my comments:

- I didn't think hard enough, but I believe creating thunks as synthetic
sections instead of attached data for other input sections is towards a
right direction, because synthetic sections are suitable for adding
linker-generated data to output files.

- As you wrote, we need to iterate relocations at least twice to create
range extension thunks. Each iteration can be a linear scan, correct? I
mean, we can start from the section at the lowest address towards higher
address examining relocations and create thunks if targets are too far.

- I do not see a reason that we need to associate range extension thunks to
symbols. It seems to me that while scanning relocations, we need to keep
only the last thunk address for each symbol. If we find that some
relocation against symbol S needs a range extension thunk, we first check
if the last thunk for S is within the range and reuse it if it is. In this
way, we need to keep only one thunk for one symbol at any moment.

- Have you considered rewriting relocations? I think, if we find that
relocation R pointing to symbol S needs a range extension thunk, we should
(1) create a range extension thunk, (2) create a symbol body object S' for
the thunk, (3) and rewrite R to point to S' instead of S. Then later passes
don't have to deal with thunks.