[llvm-dev] Optimisation passes introducing address space casts

Mehdi Amini via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 3 15:06:56 PST 2017

> On Jan 3, 2017, at 2:32 PM, James Price <J.Price at bristol.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> OK, I’ve hit one more existing regression test that I’m weary of:
>
>     define void @test2_addrspacecast() {
>       %A = alloca %T
>       %B = alloca %T
>       %a = addrspacecast %T* %A to i8 addrspace(1)*
>       %b = addrspacecast %T* %B to i8 addrspace(1)*
>       call void @llvm.memcpy.p1i8.p0i8.i64(i8 addrspace(1)* %a, i8* bitcast (%T* @G to i8*), i64 124, i32 4, i1 false)
>       call void @llvm.memcpy.p1i8.p1i8.i64(i8 addrspace(1)* %b, i8 addrspace(1)* %a, i64 124, i32 4, i1 false)
>       call void @bar_as1(i8 addrspace(1)* %b)
>       ret void
>     }
>
> This time there is no pre-existing addrspacecast on the global @G to convince the optimiser that loading from @G through anything other than addrspace(0) is legal, but the current instcombine code produces this (which is what the test expects):
>
>     %B1 = alloca [124 x i8], align 8
>     %B1.sub = getelementptr inbounds [124 x i8], [124 x i8]* %B1, i64 0, i64 0
>     %b = addrspacecast i8* %B1.sub to i8 addrspace(1)*
>     call void @llvm.memcpy.p1i8.p1i8.i64(i8 addrspace(1)* %b, i8 addrspace(1)* addrspacecast (i8* getelementptr inbounds (%T, %T* @G, i64 0, i32 0) to i8 addrspace(1)*), i64 124, i32 8, i1 false)
>     call void @bar_as1(i8 addrspace(1)* %b)
>
> Surely this load from @G via addrspace(1) is not valid, since there is no prior addrspacecast in the unoptimised IR that would allow the optimiser to conclude that this is legal?

I tend to agree with this (that is does not sound correct).

The check in the test is:

 ; CHECK-NEXT: call void @llvm.memcpy.p1i8.p1i8.i64(i8 addrspace(1)* %{{.*}},

It does not check for the source of the memcpy as far as I can tell. A correct output I expect (and that would pass the check in the test) would be:

    call void @llvm.memcpy.p1i8.p1i8.i64(i8 addrspace(1)* %b,  i8* bitcast (%T* @G to i8*), i64 124, i32 8, i1 false)

Or simply eliminating the second memcpy and use only the %a:

    define void @test2_addrspacecast() {
      %A = alloca %T
      %a = addrspacecast %T* %A to i8 addrspace(1)*
      call void @llvm.memcpy.p1i8.p0i8.i64(i8 addrspace(1)* %a, i8* bitcast (%T* @G to i8*), i64 124, i32 4, i1 false)
      call void @bar_as1(i8 addrspace(1)* %a)
      ret void
    }

It’d be nice if someone else could confirm?

--
Mehdi