[llvm-dev] [Proposal][RFC] Epilog loop vectorization

Michael Kuperstein via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Feb 27 10:41:07 PST 2017

There's another issue with re-running the vectorizer (which I support, btw
- I'm just saying there are more problems to solve on the way :-) )

Historically, we haven't even tried to evaluate the cost of the "constant"
(not per-iteration) vectorization overhead - things like alias checks.
Instead, we have hard bounds - we won't perform alias checks that are "too
expensive", and, more importantly, we don't even try to vectorize loops
with known low iteration counts. The bound right now is 16, IIRC. That
means we don't have a good way to evaluate whether vectorizing a loop with
a low iteration count is profitable or not.

This also makes me wary of the "we can clean up redundant alias checks
later" approach. When trying to decide whether to vectorize by 4 a loop
that has no more than 8 iterations (because we just vectorized by 8 and
it's the remainder loop), we really want to know if the alias checks we're
introducing are going to survive a not.

Michael