[llvm-dev] RFC: Adding llvm::ThinStream

Zachary Turner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Feb 23 08:27:50 PST 2017

There are two ways that integers can get read/written

1) by calling the function

Error readInteger<T>(T& Dest)

In this case the endianness of the integer is assumed to be that which you
constructed the Reader/Writer with. This is the only way to read something
where the endianness is only known at runtime

2) By calling

Error readObject<T>(const T*& Dest)

In this the underlying bytes are reinterpet_casted to a const T*. So if
endianness matters to you when using this function, it will have to be part
of the type T

So it's not ideal, but you could read each field out of a struct
independently using #1. This kills any performance gain you get by
eliminating copying, but I suspect this is already how the code you have in
mind works.

Or You can do what you said with multiple types and a runtime dispatch

Also you mention byte size. There is currently no mechanism for
reading/writing pointer sized values with runtime specified pointer size,
but this would be only a couple of lines to add.

Also, you can always inherit from the readers/writers and add new methods
if the core methods are insufficient