[llvm-dev] Question about compatibility of SafeStack

Yeoul Na via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Feb 17 19:08:05 PST 2017

Hi all,

Currently, I am looking into the SafeStack feature in llvm. Clang 5
documentation notes the compatibility limitations of SafeStack.
http://clang.llvm.org/docs/SafeStack.html#known-compatibility-limitations

"SafeStack supports linking statically modules that are compiled with and
without SafeStack. An executable compiled with SafeStack can load dynamic
libraries that are not compiled with SafeStack. At the moment, *compiling
dynamic libraries with SafeStack is not supported*."

My question is why compiling dynamic libraries with SafeStack is not
supported(or working). When I tested with a simple example on a X86
machine, it worked just fine. (I compiled both the main program and the
dynamic library with SafeStack option, and link the main program against
the dynamic library. The main function calls a function in the dynamic
library and both functions have unsafe stack.) I couldn't think of any
reason why it would not work especially with dynamic libraries.

It would be appreciated, if you could let me know the detail of the
SafeStack's limitation in dynamic libraries.

Thank you so much!
Yeoul