[llvm-dev] RFC: Setting MachineInstr flags through storeRegToStackSlot

Matthias Braun via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Feb 17 15:14:53 PST 2017

Can someone familiar with debug info comment on whether it matters to have the FrameSetup flag on the callee save spills? We could have a smart spill or shrink wrapping algorithm that delays the callee saves to a later point in the program while executing non-prologue code first.

Is this maybe just meant to indicate the point at which the stack and possible frame/base pointers are setup? Saving the callee saves should not necessary be part of that, it probably is on X86 where the pushs/pops are part of getting the final value of the stack pointer in a function without frame pointer, but for the case where you use storeRegToStackSlot() I'm not sure we even need to mark them as FrameSetup...

- Matthias