[llvm-dev] multiprecision add/sub

Stephen Canon via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Feb 16 10:08:58 PST 2017

> On Feb 16, 2017, at 9:12 AM, Bagel <bagel99 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I figured that the optimization of this would bedifficult (else it would have already been done :-))

Don’t make this assumption. There’s lots of opportunities for optimization scattered around. Some of them are left because they’re genuinely difficult, but most either simply haven’t been noticed by anyone, or are known but simply haven’t been done because no one has pushed for them (I’m fairly sure that this particular optimization falls into that category—folks have known the codegen wasn't great since these intrinsics were added, but no one has really complained about it, so people have worked on higher-impact stuff).

– Steve