[llvm-dev] RFC: A new llvm-dlltool driver and llvm-lib driver improvements

Rui Ueyama via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Feb 13 13:34:32 PST 2017

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 1:16 PM, Martell Malone <martellmalone at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I wonder if it can be a wrapper for LLD/COFF. It can be an in-process
>> wrapper, meaning that you could add a main function for mingw which
>> translates all arguments into the MSVC style and then invoke the COFF
>> linker's main function.
>
> That should work, if I am understanding this correctly I can create an
> argument parser (probably partially based on the ELF one) then I can set
> the data in the COFF Config object and call COFF LinkerDriver::run etc
> directly from that?

No, I meant an even thinner wrapper which textually translates arguments.
For example, the wrapper would translates "/out:foo.exe foo.obj" to "-o
foo.exe foo.obj" and then call lld::COFFF:link(). It doesn't do anything
with Config object nor LinkerDriver::run and have absolutely zero knowledge
on the internals of LLD.

(Why I'm asking this is because I want to sure that there's no difference
between the regular Windows linker and mingw. If all differences are
superficial, the command line translator should just work. If not, there's
some semantic difference.)

This proposal is for generally moving code from lld into llvm that could be
> part of lib.exe / dlltool, what are your thoughts here?

That should be fine.