[llvm-dev] sanitize=cfi-icall in real life application on x86 and ARM

via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Feb 11 07:53:54 PST 2017

After more debugging I found that the problem is with passing a function pointer as parameter and calling it.
So in case of nginx it looks following:

ngx_start_worker_processes(ngx_cycle_t *cycle, ngx_int_t n, ngx_int_t type)
{
    ngx_int_t      i;
    ngx_channel_t  ch;

    ngx_log_error(NGX_LOG_NOTICE, cycle->log, 0, "start worker processes");

    ngx_memzero(&ch, sizeof(ngx_channel_t));

    ch.command = NGX_CMD_OPEN_CHANNEL;

    for (i = 0; i < n; i++) {

        ngx_spawn_process(cycle, ngx_worker_process_cycle,
                          (void *) (intptr_t) i, "worker process", type);

        ch.pid = ngx_processes[ngx_process_slot].pid;
        ch.slot = ngx_process_slot;
        ch.fd = ngx_processes[ngx_process_slot].channel[0];

        ngx_pass_open_channel(cycle, &ch);
    }
}

ngx_pid_t
ngx_spawn_process(ngx_cycle_t *cycle, ngx_spawn_proc_pt proc, void *data,
    char *name, ngx_int_t respawn)
{
      proc(cycle, data);
}

inside nginx_spawn_process instead of calling ngx_worker_process_cycle, there is another function invoked - ngx_execute_proc, which expects different data (definitely not 0,1,2,3,...). As results nginx crashes.
And again, this happens ONLY with CFI (icall) enabled.

Could you please help?

regards,
Michal