[llvm-dev] Build status expectations for experimental targets

Dylan McKay via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Feb 3 12:45:52 PST 2017

The builder isn’t marked as experimental so I think the expectation is that
people keep it green and contact the bot owner if they need help figuring
out why their change makes it red. That said, it sounds a bit odd to have a
non-experimental builder for an experimental backend.

I see. I had followed the generic How to add a builder
<http://llvm.org/docs/HowToAddABuilder.html> docs, which doesn’t mention
the concept of an experimental buildbot. I’ll send a patch to mention it.

If you want to do the same, then you’ll need to add an
InformativeMailNotifier to
http://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/zorg/trunk/buildbot/osuosl/master/config/status.py
.

Nice! Exactly what I was looking for.

If we would believe the AVR backend is stable enough, such that users can
rely on it and such that other developers are unlikely to trigger bugs in
the AVR backend, the AVR backend should most likely be promoted to a stable
backend.

In general, I’ve found that almost all of the time that the AVR build
breaks, it’s been something pretty small which also caused a bunch of other
targets to fail also, which I suppose is a good sign. On the topic, I plan
on following up on promoting the backend to stable once the current effort
of enabling AVR in Rust is complete and we’ve ironed out any bugs found in
usage.

As a result of this, I would also expect buildbots of the AVR backend to
not send any emails to the general public, but to instead send emails to
the buildbot owner and maintainer of the AVR backend.

Agree with this

+1. The silent staging buildbot is what you want I believe
http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/lldb-commits/Week-of-Mon-20151012/024214.html

That sounds good. My plan is to make the buildbot a staging bot, and then
be the sole receiver of emails from it.

If I was in this position, I’d also configure the bot to build *only* the
AVR backend. That’s help make sure that an email does get send when a test
fails in the X86 backend.

I would love to do this, but there’s a bug in the backend which causes a
few of the Generic CodeGen tests to fail. To work around this, I leave X86
as the default target for now. I’m definitely planning on updating this
once I’ve fixed the bug.

Thanks for all of the feedback!
​