[llvm-dev] when will LLD be included with LLVM releases?

Andrew Kelley via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Feb 3 12:39:21 PST 2017

As a front end developer I would like to start experimenting with using LLD
for a linker, especially because I could cross-compile without requiring
the target's system linker being installed.

However, currently it is not straightforward to depend on LLD, because it
is not by default included in LLVM releases, and this means that it is
absent from the various package managers. If users were to try my compiler,
they would have to install LLVM, Clang, and LLD from source, which is a big
thing for me to ask for.

What I would like to see is LLD bundled with LLVM releases by default, or
at least available independently such that it could build against an
already-installed LLVM.

What is the timeline for this?

Regards,
Andrew