[llvm-dev] Build status expectations for experimental targets

Dylan McKay via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Feb 3 02:37:43 PST 2017

Hey all,

Every few weeks, a change is committed to trunk that breaks the AVR
buildbot.

A problem presents when commit authors do not fix the build, and just leave
it because it passes on the core buildbots. The build stays red for a few
days until I go and check it. In the meantime, it likely causes spam for
most if not all developers when they commit new code.

All commits should keep master green, but what is the expectation for
experimental backends? Is it reasonable to expect all developers who commit
code to ensure tests pass on the AVR backend?

On top of this, is there any way to notify maintainers of a backend when a
buildbot has been failing for some time? I imagine other experimental
backends have run into the same problems.