[llvm-dev] Fuzzing bitcode reader

Michael Kruse via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Feb 2 05:31:51 PST 2017

> About a GSOC, my own personal opinion is that we should try to give
> interesting / fun projects to student and not use them as cheap labor to fix
> the small bugs and issues we’re not able to prioritize ourself.

I'd see this from a different perspective. The GSoC says its focus is
"bringing more student developers into open source software
development" [1]. For such a goal maintenance work is more purposeful
than an interesting side-project whose future is uncertain after the
program ends. At least more interaction with the community and the
code base is assured. Moreover, the student gets paid and is free to
not apply for this kind of work; a luxury we employees usually do not
have.

Michael

[1] https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/