[llvm-dev] RFC: Generic IR reductions

Saito, Hideki via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 1 17:29:12 PST 2017

>Also want to re-iterate that reductions are useful for testing bits of predicate vectors, which can be applicable to other targets than SVE for things like early-exit vectorization. Simon >mentioned this to me off-list. Simon, could you comment here if this proposal would work for your needs?

For fixed sized vector, bitcasting vector of i1s into a single integer of the same number of bits can takes care of most cases.
For AVX512, it is K-register to GPR move. I don't think that works for SVE, though. This is a place where I don't mind
vectorizer not generating one kind of representation. Non-intrinsic alternative is so nice to give up. If we are talking about
reduction instruction, however, that might convey vectorizer's logic better than bitcasting. That's the line I'd draw.

For future outer loop vectorization, we'll be performing "if vector of predicate is not all-false", which is bitcast and then !=0.

Thanks,
Hideki