[llvm-dev] RFC: Generic IR reductions

Saito, Hideki via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 1 12:27:39 PST 2017

Hi All,

Renato wrote:
>As they say: if it's not broken, don't fix it.
>Let's talk about the reductions that AVX512 and SVE can't handle with IR semantics, but let's not change the current IR semantics for no reason.

Main problem for SVE: We can't write straight-line IR instruction sequence for reduction last value compute, without
knowing #elements in vector to start from.

For non-scalable vector, series of "reduce to half" (or any other straight-line IR instruction sequence) is functionally
working, but certainly not ideal (ugly, optimal sequence is target dependent, artificially inflating the outgoing IL
for any optimizers not interested in optimizing reduction last value compute, that translates to longer compile time,
etc.)

So, it's not like we don't have reasons for asking to change the status quo.

Here's what I'd like to see at the end of this discussion.
     Nice and concise representation of reducing a vector into a scalar value.
     An IR instruction to do so is ideal, but I understand that the hurdle for that is very high.
     I'm okay with an intrinsic function call, and I heard that's a reasonable step to get to instruction.
     Let's say someone comes up with 1024bit vector working on char data. Nobody is really happy to see
     a sequence of "reduce to half" for 128 elements. Today, with AVX512BW, we already have the problem
     of half that size (only a few instructions less). I don't think anything that is proportional to "LOG(#elems)"
     is "nice and concise".
Such a representation is also useful inside of vectorized loop if the programmer wants bitwise identical
FP reduction value (obviously at the much slower speed), without losing the vectorization of rest of
the loop body. So, this isn't just "outside the vectorized loop" stuff.

Now, can we focus on the value of "nice and concise representation"? If the community consensus
is "Yes", we can then talk about how to deliver that vision --- one IR instruction, one intrinsic call, a small
number of IR instructions (I don't know how, but someone might have brilliant ideas), etc., and further dig
deeper (e.g., IR instruction for each reduction operator?, whether the operator specification is part of
operand or part of intrinsic name?, etc). If the community consensus is "No", we can stop talking about
details right away.

Obviously, I'm voting for YES on "nice and concise representation".

Thanks,
Hideki Saito
Intel Compilers and Languages