[llvm-dev] [RFC] IR-level Region Annotations

Sanjoy Das via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 1 10:36:06 PST 2017

Hi Xinmin,

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 5:26 PM, Tian, Xinmin <xinmin.tian at intel.com> wrote:
> [XT] Back from Biz trips, trying to catch up with the discussion.

> [XT]: Your understanding is correct.  But, the IR-level region annotation RFC is not just for OpenMP. OpenMP is one of usage cases..

> - Write to and read from arbitrary memory
>  - Have UB (but we're allowed to pretend that they don't)
>  - Throw an exception
>  - Never return, either by infinite looping or by calling exit(0)
>  - Have memory synchronization operations, like fences, atomic loads,
>    stores etc.
>  - Have side effects like IO, volatile writes
>
> [XT] Based on Google and Xilinx's suggestion, the IR-level region
> annotation can use token and tags with intrinsic functions to model
> region and memory dependency (use/def).  Above list are handled based
> on language rules. E.g.  OpenMP rule says, in a parallel region, throw
> an exception is allowed, but it has been caught within the region,
> i.e. no control-flow edge is allowed to across the region boundary.
> "exit" is one exception which is allowed, as it terminate the
> program..  Our solution is to have FE and/or one central place in ME
> to deal with language specifics.

I should have been clearer: I am not talking about user code here.
I'm trying to say that intrinsic calls are, first and foremost, calls;
and their behavior should be describable within the framework above.
This precludes using intrinsics to represent magic control flow.

For instance, if we go back to one of the problematic transformations
from earlier in the mail:

void main() {
  int a[4];
  #pragma omp parallel num_threads(4)
  {
    int i = omp_get_thread_num();
    int val = compute_something_into_val(i);
    a[i] = val;
  }

  return a[0] + a[1];
}

void main() {
  int a[4];
  #pragma omp parallel num_threads(4)
  {
    int i = omp_get_thread_num();
    int val = compute_something_into_val(i);
    a[i] = val;
  }

  return undef;
}

or some variant of this, Say the parallel region is demarcated by a
pair of intrinsics.  The said intrinsics could have any subset of the
behavior demarcated above, but the transform would still be valid; and
so to rule out this transform you would need these demarcating (or
region-creating) intrinsics to have some exotic property not in that
list.  That's the bit I'm worried about.  IOW I'm worried about
changes like this:

  if (!isa<TerminatorInst>(I))
    V.push_back(I);
  else
    return false;

  if (!isa<TerminatorInst>(I) && !llvm::isTerminatorLikeIntrinsic(I))
    V.push_back(I);
  else
    return false;

If you can define the semantics of the intrinsics you want to add as a
subset of the behaviors specified above then I have no problems.

The other option is to define all or a subset of intrinsic calls as
*not* `CallInst` s but as fundamentally different "things" in the LLVM
Instruction hierarchy; at which point we can give them whatever
semantics we want.  What I don't want is a `CallInst` doing something
a `CallInst` ought not do.

> *outside* the set mentioned above then the instruction really does not have "call semantics".  `call @llvm.experimental.region_begin()` is really a fundamentally new instruction masquerading as an intrinsic, and it is probably better to call a spade a spade and represent it as a new instruction.
>
> [XT] Yes and No. Yes: w.r.t region scope annotation, No: it is more
> than one new instruction, it is more like a sequence of
> instructions. Assume we have a "fork" instruction, omp fork and cilk
> fork/spawn semantics are differently in terms of stack frame
> allocation and ABI.  When we introduce a new instruction, the exact
> semantics needs to be defined, it can't be alter. Thus, we proposed to

Can that problem be solved by (this is both a technical and cultural
shift) allowing "experimental" instructions, whose semantics can be
evolved over time with no guarantee for backwards compatibility?

> start with experimental_intrinsics, and it is proven working. We can
> always convert the intrinsics with token/tag to instructions when we
> have enough solid cases / justification for the part of model-agnostic
> for the conversion.

I don't have any problem with that in principle, and I'd
wholeheartedly agree if the intrinsics had call semantics.

> [XT] I would say, it is a design trade-off between having a central

It *is* a design trade-off but I think you're discounting how much
we're trading-off on one side of the equation.

> place to deal with specifics or make drastic changes to begin with
> from day one.  Our process is to have a central place to get all
> working, then, turning off the support for some "symptoms" in this
> central place one-by-one to trigger downstream fails and fixed.  I

Again, I have no issue with this process; but I'm speculating that the
nature of the fixes will add more technical debt to LLVM than we're
comfortable with absorbing.

(Assuming by "central place" you mean the frontend and by downstream
fixes you meant fixes to LLVM passes?)

> think our ultimate goal is more or less same, just taking a different
> approach to get there.  The central place / prepare-phase for getting
> IR to a "canonical" form with help to address the issue . " downstream
> passes, passes that will be added later.  It also puts us in a weird
> spot around semantics of call instructions." you mentioned.
>
> Thanks for all questions, discussions and feedback.

Thank you too! :)
-- Sanjoy