[llvm-dev] RFC: Generic IR reductions

Amara Emerson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 1 06:44:56 PST 2017

Her point is that the %sum value will no longer be an add node, but
simply a constant vector. There is no way to resolve the semantics and
have meaningful IR after a simple constant prop. This means that other
simple transformations will all have to have special case logic just
to handle reductions, for example LCSSA.

> On thing that does happen is that code optimisations expose patterns
> that would otherwise not be apparent. This includes potential
> reduction or fusion patterns and can lead to massively smaller code or
> even eliding the whole block. If you convert a block to an intrinsic
> too early you may lose the ability to merge it back again later, as
> we're doing today.

> These are all hypothetical wrt SVE, but they did happen in NEON in the
> past and were the reason why we only have a handful of NEON
> intrinsics. Everything else are encoded with sequences of
> instructions.

Can you give a specific example? Reductions are actually very robust
to optimizations breaking the idiom, which is why I was able to
replace the reductions with intrinsics in my patches and with simple
matching generate identical code to before. No other changes were
required in the mid-end.