[llvm-dev] Pass ordering - GVN vs. loop optimizations

Ariel Ben-Yehuda via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Dec 23 12:38:36 PST 2017

LICM does get move the load to the loop header, so putting an EarlyCSE
between the "first" and "second" passes of loop optimizations would
fix this problem. EarlyCSE is also not *that* expensive, so I might
very well do that.

On the other hand, this is another of these "global" slowdowns to
optimize a specific case (e.g. unless I can figure out a smart way to
do a LoopSimplifyCfg, I'm going to slam a SimplifyCfg between indvars
and loopidiom, because bounds checks and loop idioms don't mix). I was
just surprised that loop optimizations appear after GVN and wanted to
understand the cause for this.

I suppose one reason is that, while loads that are supposed to be
merged should be pretty popular in both Rust and C++, merging loads is
much easier in Rust than in C++, because we can very often emit
!noalias on pointers.

I suppose that this, along with Rust's second "late" GVN, mean that
moving the first GVN to before loop optimizations might be a better
idea in Rust than in C++. I am just trying to figure out what risks
might appear to that.

BTW, I could not get IRCE to touch the bounds check here in any way,
despite aggressive use of much other passes.