[llvm-dev] PPC64 Disassembler

UE US via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Dec 22 03:33:41 PST 2017

BC is flagged as isCodeGenOnly in the tablegen because of:

  // BCC represents an arbitrary conditional branch on a predicate.
  // FIXME: should be able to write a pattern for PPCcondbranch, but can't
use
  // a two-value operand where a dag node expects two operands. :(
  let isCodeGenOnly = 1 in {

IIRC isCodeGenOnly instructions have different disassembly behavior.  The
X86 backend has / had a "ForceDisassemble" flag with the comment

   // The disassembler should know about this, but not the asmparser.

The assembly input is handled via an instruction alias, which I think is
only used by the asmparser to expand bne into the isCodeGenOnly form:

defm : BranchExtendedMnemonic<"ne", 68>;

Someone else should know off the top of their head but the x86 backend has
a very similar setup (X86InstrControl.td) for the ICBr multiclass which
handles different bit widths of conditional branch immediates, and
isCodeGenOnly and ForceDisassemble are both set on two of the three forms.
That might explain why it works there and not with PPC, but I might be
wrong.

Hope that helps,
GNOMETOYS