[llvm-dev] MachineInstr - different treatment of subregs for checking mods and reads

Matthias Braun via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Dec 15 11:48:32 PST 2017

> On Dec 15, 2017, at 6:51 AM, Nemanja Ivanovic via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> MachineInstr::modifiesRegister() and MachineInstr::readsRegister() seem to disagree on whether to check only the super-reg (reads) or any overlapping register (modifies).
>
> I suppose this makes some sense, but I find it confusing and kind of limiting. I would like to implement something along the lines of `MachineInstr::readsAnyOverlappingRegister()` that would have the same semantics other than it would check whether the instruction reads the register, it's super-register or some sub-register.
> Basically, I would just replace `TRI->isSubRegister(MOReg, Reg)` in a version of `findRegisterUseOperandIdx()`, with `TRI->regsOverlap(MOReg, Reg)`. I think this would accomplish what I'm after.
>
> The reason I would find this useful is that I have a pre-emit pass that finds the instruction that defines a register and under certain conditions, I'd be able to remove the defining instruction. But I can't remove it if there's another use of any portion of the register between the def and the use I am considering.
1) Just write that function as part of your pass. If it turns out to be useful for more than 1 pass, we can move it to MachineInstr.
2) I'm not 100% sure I understand your motivation, but to me it sounds a bit like you are re-implementing some form of liveness check so why not use LiveRegUnits/LivePhysRegs instead?

- Matthias