[llvm-dev] RFC: Exposing TargetTransformInfo factories from TargetMachine

Sanjoy Das via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Dec 15 10:12:49 PST 2017

On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 5:30 AM, Hal Finkel <hfinkel at anl.gov> wrote:
> Are there reasons why we might not want to do this? Other options we should
> consider?

It does make the TargetMachine -> TargetIRAnalysis path less abstract,
but given that all targets have the same pattern of instantiating a
TargetIRAnalysis with a Function->TargetTransformInfo hook, the
abstraction does not seem particularly useful.

I might do even a simpler form of the patch though -- instead of
returning a function pointer from TargetMachine, just add a virtual
function to TargetMachine that creates the TargetTransformInfo
directly from a Function.

-- Sanjoy