[llvm-dev] devirtualization with new-PM pipeline

Fedor Sergeev via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Dec 13 22:40:16 PST 2017

On 12/14/2017 05:31 AM, Chandler Carruth wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 6:27 PM Easwaran Raman via llvm-dev
>
>     Yes, this looks broken in the new PM.
>     The DevirtSCCRepeatedPass::run method first scans the functions in
>     the SCC to collect value handles for indirect calls, runs the
>     CGSCC pass pipeline and then checks if any of the call value
>     handles now point to  a direct call, in which case it runs the
>     pipeline again (which should inline the devirtualized call) . The
>     problem is scanning the initial SCC for indirect calls is not
>     enough since inlining can produce indirect calls (which could then
>     get devirtualized by later passes). One (ugly) fix is to pass the
>     value handles to the inliner through  CGSCCUpdateResult and let
>     the inliner augment it as the caller gets indirect calls due to
>     inlining.
>

> Yeah, this is a frustrating tradeoff....
>
> The new PM's approach here is dramatically simpler, but can't handle
> certain edge cases. I'm not sure how much complexity it is worth
> adding here.
>
> The other way to address this is to not try so hard to exactly match
> the old PM's behavior. Instead of trying to detect when an indirect
> call is turned into a direct call, we could do something more like
> iterating to a fixed-point, or at least a fixed point of inlining.
> This is even simpler than the current approach and also more robust
> (it would handle cases like you describe).
Fixed-point approach sounds promising, though it would make sense to
allow being flexible on how "fixed" the point is.
As you said, it might be a fixed point of inlining, or a fixed point of
some selected set of optimizations critical for
a particular (perhaps, rather customized) pipeline. Allowing to control
this fixed point seems to be very reasonable.

I wonder what should be an interface for this kind of control.

regards,
   Fedor.