[llvm-dev] [lld] bug detecting undefined symbols in shared libraries

Scott Smith via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Dec 11 16:04:57 PST 2017

With shared libraries, it is always possible that you end up running with a
different set of libraries than you actually linked with.  However, how
often is that actually the case?  It seems at the very least there should
be an option to tell the user that unless they switch libraries, their code
won't be runnable.  In most cases, everything is available to the linker to
detect the situation (as both ld and gold do).

gold has a set of options to vary their behavior -
--[no-]allow-shlib-undefined, --no-undefined, -z defs,
--warn-unresolved-symbols, --error-unresolved-symbols, --unresolved-symbols
ignore-all/report-all/ignore-in-object-files/ignore-in-shared-libs.  It
seems that lld is implementing --allow-shlib-undefined (test1 builds, test2
fails to build).  Is it possible for lld to implement
--[no-]allow-shlib-undefined to switch the behavior for undefined symbols
in shared libraries?

$ make clean && make -k
rm -f main.o virtual.o virtual.so test1 test2
clang++-5.0 -fPIC -c main.cc
clang++-5.0 -fPIC -c virtual.cc
clang++-5.0 -fPIC -fuse-ld=gold -Wl,--allow-shlib-undefined -shared -o
virtual.so virtual.o
clang++-5.0 -fPIC -fuse-ld=gold -Wl,--allow-shlib-undefined -Wl,-R$ORIGIN.
-o test1 main.o virtual.so
clang++-5.0 -fPIC -fuse-ld=gold -Wl,--allow-shlib-undefined -Wl,-R$ORIGIN.
-o test2 main.o virtual.o
virtual.o:virtual.cc:vtable for foo: error: undefined reference to
'foo::bar()'
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see
invocation)
make: *** [test2] Error 1
make: Target `all' not remade because of errors.