[llvm-dev] [RFC] - Deduplication of debug information in linkers (LLD).

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Dec 5 12:13:28 PST 2017

If you're interested in things you can do in the linker for this - you
might consider something more aggressive: Fully DWARF aware deduplication.

This could be done hopefully by reusing some of the code in the dsymutil
implementation in LLVM.

This would be much more effective (and without the possible
context-sensitive tradeoffs) than using type units. Though it'd possibly
have a big tradeoff in link time and/or linker memory usage (I'm not sure
how much dsymutil needs/uses of either).

It doesn't seem especially important to implement the DWARF5 types ->
debug_info thing for this situation, the type units as they are (in
debug_types) offer the same size benefits here. But sure, if anyone wanted
to implement it at some point, that'd be fine.

I think Paul covered some of the reasons type units might not be a
reasonable default.

One additional reason is that if you use Split DWARF (another great way to
massively reduce the amount of debug info going to the linker) type units
are mostly /just/ overhead in the .dwo files: since the debug info is not
linked, there's no opportunity to remove the duplication anyway (unless
you're making a DWP - like a dsym file)