[llvm-dev] Finding what IR component llc assert-fails on

Nemanja Ivanovic via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Aug 30 00:23:04 PDT 2017

I would imagine that the best way is using -debug. You'll know what it was
doing at the time and can make sense of what is happening. Of course, you
could just dump the instruction that is causing the assertion (either in
the debugger or directly in the code and rebuild).

But more than likely, I assume your code does something like
`MI.getDebugVariable()` without checking `isDebugValue()` for the
`MachineInstr` first (i.e. making an implicit assumption that what you're
looking at is a DebugValue).

Although you also seem to be on a very old version of LLVM, so I'm not sure
if what I just said applies.