[llvm-dev] Error in generating Object Code for implemented assembly vector instructions

Tim Northover via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Aug 26 20:40:17 PDT 2017

Hi Ahmed,

On 26 August 2017 at 12:47, hameeza ahmed via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> Please help. How to resolve above mentioned issues.

Pinging a question after 10 hours is not good practice in LLVM. The
developer policy  (https://llvm.org/docs/DeveloperPolicy.html)
suggests roughly weekly for patches, and I see no reason questions on
llvm-dev should be any different.

In general, if I can be blunt, I don't get the impression you try to
solve your issues independently before asking here. From what I can
see your first reaction on seeing an error is to ask on this list what
code needs to be modified to fix your problem.

We understand that you're probably new to this code, but virtually
everyone responding here is doing it either in their own time or at
best with an employer's "engage with OSS" blessing. You're going to
get a lot more positive responses if you appear to have investigated
obvious possibilities and actually debugged code before asking for a
quick fix. You should describe what you've done to work out where the
source of the error is, and give specific details on why you're stuck
here.

We really want to help, but we're inevitably going to prioritise
questions that suggest someone is going to become a useful part of the
LLVM community. Independent thinking is a big part of that (at least
for me).

Cheers.

Tim.