[llvm-dev] [RFC] 'Review corner' section in LLVM Weekly

Bekket McClane via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Aug 26 17:50:53 PDT 2017

Hi Alex,

Thank you very much for raising this crucial issue again.
And I think the review corner would be a good way to solve it.

However, I’m worry about that the traffic of the list would eventually become too high, and looses the ‘highlighter’ feature that it should have
After all, no one wants the ‘headline of unreviewed patches' to be a 1000+ items list.

I suggest that we can aid this problem from another aspect at the same time: Notify the reviewer actively.
We can inference the candidate code owner/reviewer who is responsible for the patch from the submitted code
And provide the submitter an option to notify those reviewers by email.

I think with the aforementioned approach, we can keep the review corner while preventing it to become another {llvm,cfe}-commits
Also, I think it can help new contributors with some problems related to code owners and code review assignees. For example, sometimes a new submitter either doesn't know who should be assigned for a code review, or the part he/she committed doesn’t seem to be covered by any code owner listed in CODE_OWNER.txt (e.g Transforms/Utils, IIRC).

Hope my opinion helps

Best Regards,
Bekket