[llvm-dev] Extending TableGen's 'foreach' to work with 'multiclass' and 'defm'

Krzysztof Parzyszek via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Aug 23 10:39:37 PDT 2017

On 8/23/2017 12:21 PM, Hal Finkel wrote:>
> That could also be two separate questions: Would we replace the .td
> input language with Python completely in the long term? Would we rewrite
> the the backends (i.e., TableGen plugins) in Python? I don't yet have an
> opinion on either. I can see advantages to providing Python as input
> language. What do you think?

If we want to undertake incorporating Python into the TableGen pipeline,
then completely replacing TableGen with Python sounds like a logical
long-term goal.  Everything that TableGen can do can be done in Python
as well, plus Python offers nearly unlimited flexibility.

-Krzysztof

hosted by The Linux Foundation