[llvm-dev] RFC: Representing unions in TBAA

Daniel Berlin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Aug 14 10:29:43 PDT 2017

It's hard to say.
What you've described sounds close to a neutral type system implemented in
metadata.
In particular, ". It also defines a set of language-neutral formal rules
that LLVM codegen follows to determine whether a given pair of accesses are
allowed to overlap by rules of the input language. "
and "the base type followed by field descriptors"
etc

Despite the name, our current TBAA does not require or represent types.  It
represents a translation of language access rules into a language of
hierarchical sets, that are represented by a  tree with weighted edges.

If you are actually attempting to represent neutral types, certainly, the
approach can work, but probably not represent exact semantics for all
languages.

Most LLVM metadata also tries to avoid understanding the language, instead
modeling the effects.

For example, it's unlikely we'd use metadata to say "This is a struct field
access to a, and this is one to b" and use that in analysis.  Because it
requires the semantics be at the LLVM level, and understand something about
the language.

Instead, we'd usually say "this is an access to offset 0 of memory, with
size 4, and this is an  access to offset 4 of memory, with size 8", with
the with the semantic that accesses tagged in such a manner can only
overlap if the offset, size ranges overlap.  That semantic is language
independent.

But again, this is all very theoretical. I'd be very interested to see what
you came up with.