[llvm-dev] Relicensing: Revised Developer Policy

Pavan Maddamsetti via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Aug 11 09:02:02 PDT 2017

> It is my interest to see my code used. In particular I am really excited
> to see llvm/clang/lld/lldb/etc replacing more and more of the previous
> components on these systems. I really don't want to harm that change.
>
> If FreeBSD and OpenBSD are OK with license X, I am OK with license X.

Rafael,

It is my understanding that Apache 2.0 licensed code will not be
integrated into OpenBSD under the current copyright policy:
https://www.openbsd.org/policy.html

This is problematic given that the default compiler on amd64 and i386
was just changed to clang:
https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-cvs&m=150109829003860

OpenBSD developers have previously made their position clear during
this discussion:
http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2017-April/112300.html

That said, Chris and others have made it clear that the relicensing
process will proceed as planned. LLVM will most likely be forked.