[llvm-dev] InstCombine GEP

Nuno Lopes via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Aug 10 04:01:55 PDT 2017

I agree that’s a bit strange.
I dunno about SROA, but BasicAA certainly knows about structs and unions.  I don’t think right now it has any problem handling those. (and if there’s some case it doesn’t, shouldn’t be hard to fix)
Also, BasicAA has special rules for arrays of structs that can conclude no-alias even if some of the indexes aren’t constants. So you could even turn those no-alias results into may-alias; instcombine is losing information here.

I guess you could lookup the history to see why/when that transformation was introduced if noone remembers.

Nuno