[llvm-dev] [RFC][InlineCost] Modeling JumpThreading (or similar) in inline cost model

Sander De Smalen via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Aug 7 07:56:43 PDT 2017

Hi,

Coincidentally I've been working to optimize this same case last week. I was struggling a bit to determine where to put this functionality and eventually went for the pragmatic approach of creating an experimental pass. Probably not the eventual solution, but it may provide some useful input to the discussion here.

Basically, I experimented with a 'pre-inlining-transform' pass that clones the callsite if it can prove that one of the arguments to the call can be replaced by a constant, based on dominating conditions, e.g.:

    if (!ptr || ptr && ptr->val)
      foo(ptr, ...)

    =>

    if (!ptr)
      foo(nullptr, ...)
    else if (ptr && ptr->val)
      foo(ptr /*knownNonNull*/, ...)

Here the first argument becomes constant for the first callsite and a further analysis pass sets the KnownNonNull attribute on the first argument in the second callsite. The InlinerCost algorithm can then determine it is cheap enough to inline both cases, because it knows the callee (foo) distinguishes between the two cases. In the callee, the check for '(ptrA == ptrB)' in function foo becomes constant for the first callsite because it knows ptrA is nullptr.

To keep compile-time down, it doesn’t use the dominator tree as it seemed sufficient to look at the direct predecessors of the block containing the call (and their single-predecessors, for 'and'ed conditions). To keep the cost of duplicating code down, it only clones the block upto the call if the number of instructions stays below some threshold, which in practice reduces the cases to simple callsites with directly dominating conditions. The reasoning behind this is that duplicating the callsite is probably ‘cheap’ if it can eliminate an argument with a constant, since this is often a pointer and is likely to be checked for ‘nullptr’ in the callee which will improve the inline cost.

We’re still collecting numbers to check there are no regressions from cloning the callsite and the pass is still a bit work in progress, but I should be able to share this work if anyone is interested (if only just for reference).

Sander