[llvm-dev] GEP with a null pointer base

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Aug 2 07:58:07 PDT 2017

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 7:02 AM Peter Lawrence <peterl95124 at sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

> Paul,
>          The proposition under discussion is this
>
> Deleting UB, rather than warning about UB, should not be the default,
> as this is contrary to the essentially universal software engineering
> practice of writing software that is compiler warning free, static
> analyzer warning free, and dynamic analyzer warning free.

There seems to be disagreement between you & most/everyone else who've
discussed this.

I (& I believe others) don't see a contrtadiction here. Deleting UB code is
based on the assumption that someone is writing code that is warning,
static analysis, and dynamic analysis warning free. The belief is that the
code is dead, that's why it's deleted. & not that the user wrote dead code,
but it's contextually dead based on inlining, etc - as examples have been
given (& one can question/discuss the validity of those examples - but
they're certainly proof of existence of steps where benign/good/reasonable
code still produces UB-dead code after optimizations that can be removed by
the compiler while maintaining the developers intend and potentially
improving the performance, code size, etc, of the program).

If I understand correctly, you disagree that this happens in practice (that
the only time UB code is ever removed is because the user's code was buggy
in the first place) - there are some paths (suggested) to discover whether
that's the case.