[llvm-dev] How to directly annotate the content a pointer points to in Clang?

Shen Liu via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Aug 1 14:10:45 PDT 2017

Hi all,

I am doing an information flow project in LLVM, and I need to do some
annotations to start computing the data flow.

Typically, if I want to annotate a FILE* fp, I can take the following way:

FILE* *__attribute__*((annotate("my_annotation"))) fp;

and then analyze some @llvm.annotations instructions to capture the
information flow.

However, if I want to do some further annotation like annotating the file
that fp points to rather than annotating the FILE pointer only, is there a
way(with *__attribute__ *grammar) to do that? For some simple types like
int, float I can simply compute the data flow from the pointer to pointee,
but for some complex types like FILE* I have no good idea now.

Any hints on that are welcome, thank you very much!

Best regards,

Shen