[llvm-dev] Old SimplifyInstruction API about to fully die

Daniel Berlin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Apr 28 10:08:52 PDT 2017

This is about to be done, as i have converted remaining users and the
bootstraps are just about done.
I will follow up with the rev number.

For those needing to convert out of tree uses:

Trivially, you should be able to take any place that has
SimplifyInstruction(I, ...), and do SimplifyInstruction(I, {...}).

However, where possible, it is going to be better to construct a
SimplifyQuery once and use it everywhere.
CorrelatedValuePropagation and LoopRotation have examples of how to do this.

I have converted everywhere where it is  easy to do so.to construct them
once, and everywhere else now constructs them using the above.

I am also introducing a helper function, named "getBestSimplifyQuery", that
can take Pass/AnalysisManager/LoopStandardAnalysis, and will construct the
best SimplifyQuery possible from whatever optional analysis are available.

Thus, in a Pass runOnFunction, you could do

const SimplifyQuery SQ = getBestSimplifyQuery(*this, F)

and it will hand you back a structure filled in with as many of the
analyses as are around and up to date. You can then pass that to
SimplifyInstruction later.

Using  this is strongly preferred as it will enable us to add analysis to
SimplifyInstruction and just update those functions.

I bootstrapped with every target enabled, sorry if i missed something!