[llvm-dev] RFC #3: Improving license & patent issues in the LLVM community

Rafael Espíndola via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Apr 27 14:43:03 PDT 2017

Sorry for the delay, I was on vacations.

Ed, what is the FreeBSD position about the apache version 2 in base? A
quick search only shows it in contrib/ and crypto/openssl.

If I understand the issue, we can achieve the desired results with a
license change that handles patents or by keeping a minimal license
for runtime and llvm, but requiring a contributor agreement in the
project before we accept changes. Am I correct?

Not requiring a contributor agreement is awesome. It makes it really
easy for people to join the project or send one time fixes. It also
saves committers from having to check some database before committing
a patch by someone else.

On the other hand, at least for me, one of the main motivations for
wanting to contribute to llvm projects is how widely used they are. I
understand that an effort was made for gpl2 compatibility, but that is
a bit of innovation that we were trying to avoid. More importantly, it
is hard to say that is the only issue one will ever find.

Also, at least the OpenBSD project is reluctant to use the Apache2
license. From where I stand it doesn't really matter if their concerns
with the license are unfounded: until they are convinced otherwise the
change is undesirable from the perspective of making llvm used as much
as possible.

Given the situation I would prefer to penalize the development process
a bit and have a contributor agreement instead of the license change.

Cheers,
Rafael