[llvm-dev] TBAA falsely reporting may alias?

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Apr 14 06:12:29 PDT 2017

On 04/14/2017 08:03 AM, Kavon Farvardin via llvm-dev wrote:
> Thanks for the explanation Sanjoy!
>
> Another question I have is: are there are any passes that invalidate or make the TBAA analysis information less precise?

Some transformation drop TBAA information when they might invalidate it,
but it should be preserved in most places.

> I noticed that TBAA is only run once, early on in the pass ordering for O1 through O3. My thinking is that if a pass that duplicates code is run, the analysis info may not have data for the result of the new load/stores. A solution might be to add -tbaa after each -basicaa.

It only needs to be "run" once, which just serves to insert the TBAA
analysis in the pipeline. Because the analysis itself is completely
stateless, it is never invalidated, and thus is always available/used
after insertion.

  -Hal

> ~kavon
>
>> On Apr 14, 2017, at 4:45 AM, Sanjoy Das <sanjoy at playingwithpointers.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Kavon,
>>
>> On April 13, 2017 at 11:31:17 AM, Kavon Farvardin via llvm-dev
>> (llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org) wrote:
>>> I'm trying to work with Type Based Alias Analysis (TBAA). Here's the example program
>>> I'm working with:
>>>
>>> ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
>>>
>>> define void @foo(i64* %a, i64* %b, i64 %x, i64 %y) {
>>> store i64 %x, i64* %a, !tbaa !2 ; write to stack
>>> store i64 %y, i64* %b, !tbaa !3 ; write to heap
>>> ret void
>>> }
>>>
>>> !1 = !{!"root"}
>>> !2 = !{!"stack", !1}
>>> !3 = !{!"heap", !1}
>>>
>>> ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
>>>
>>> When I run: opt -disable-output -disable-basicaa -tbaa -aa-eval -print-alias-sets
>>> simple_tbaa.ll
>>>
>>> I get something unusual, as the two pointers %a and %b are in disjoint alias sets, but aa-eval
>>> reports that they may alias:
>> Given the IR you have, what you know is that the two store
>> *operations* do not alias, not that %a does not alias %b.  In the
>> specific case above, you can use the information about the stores to
>> say something about the aliasing between %a and %b, but that's not
>> true in general of TBAA.
>>
>> To make -aa-eval also report the aliasing between loads and stores,
>> you can pass in -evaluate-aa-metadata to opt (along with -aa-eval), in
>> which case you'll get 1 NoAlias (between the two stores) and one
>> MayAlias (between the two pointers %a and %b) on the above IR.
>>
>> -- Sanjoy

Hal Finkel
Leadership Computing Facility
Argonne National Laboratory