[llvm-dev] Potential issue with noalias @malloc and @realloc

Flamedoge via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Apr 11 16:14:13 PDT 2017

I think you are spot-on!

>From http://en.cppreference.com/w/c/memory/malloc,
A previous call to free <http://en.cppreference.com/w/c/memory/free> or
realloc <http://en.cppreference.com/w/c/memory/realloc> that deallocates a
region of memory *synchronizes-with* a call to *malloc*that allocates the
same or a part of the same region of memory. This synchronization occurs
after any access to the memory by the deallocating function and before any
access to the memory by malloc. There is a single total order of all
allocation and deallocation functions operating on each particular region
of memory.

So only "non-freed" malloc pointers are No-Alias which makes it
flow-sensitive. There is no reason why malloc couldn't return previously
freed location.

Regards,
Kevin