[llvm-dev] [RFC] Design of a TBAA sanitizer

Sanjoy Das via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Apr 11 15:14:28 PDT 2017

Hi Kostya,

On April 11, 2017 at 2:39:44 PM, Kostya Serebryany (kcc at google.com) wrote:
> > ptr0 = malloc();
> > free(ptr0);
> > ptr1 = malloc();
> >
> > ptr0 and ptr1 will be NoAlias despite overlapping (there is actually a
> > real soundness issue here in LLVM's semantics, but I don't want to
> > digress). You can also recreate the pattern with realloc.
> >

> In both of your examples there is no place in the program where both P0 and
> P1 are live simultaneously,
> i.e. no analysis path is expected to query MayAlias(AccessToP0,
> AccessToP1). No?

I may be misunderstanding what you meant, but I don't see why not.

Say you had (all values are SSA values):

%p0 = malloc()
store i32 0, i32* %p0  // S0
free(%p0)
%p1 = malloc()
store i32 1, i32* %p1  // S1

and some pass wanted to sink S0 to after S1.  So it starts checking
"from the bottom", as

  Alias(S0, S1) = NoAlias
  Alias(S0, malloc()) = NoAlias
  Alias(S0, free(%p0)) = MayAlias

etc.  The last MayAlias will prevent it from doing the sink, but I
don't see why it can't ask the Alias(S0, S1) question.

> > The same problem exists with constant addresses. LLVM states that
> > constant locations are noalias with themselves, and you again have the
> > "noalias does not imply pointer inequality" problem.
>
> That won't even have to be special cased, because if we emit a check
> ConstPtr != ConstPtr,
> such a check will be trivially optimized away.

But won't it be constant folded to trigger the sanitizer crash /
warning?  That is, since LLVM will state the ConstPtr NoAlias
ConstPtr, you'll emit the check:

if (overlap(ConstPtr, Sz, ConstPtr, Sz))
  abort();

which will get constant folded to

if (true) abort();

If you meant that the implementation of overlap will differ based on
whether the pointers are constant pointers or not, I'm not sure if
that will work, since the fact that the values whose aliasness (I
think I invented a new word :P ) you're checking could have been
arbitrarily obscured (AA could have looked through PHIs and selects
etc.) which will prevent you from rediscovering that the values were
constant pointers in some cases.

-- Sanjoy