[llvm-dev] [RFC] Design of a TBAA sanitizer

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Apr 11 03:49:44 PDT 2017

On 04/11/2017 03:46 AM, Andrey Bokhanko wrote:
> Hal,
>
> To clarify, my example meant to illustrate that for memory references
> to structures' fields you have to keep a user-defined type, even for
> one byte accesses. C++ allows references to "initial member sequence"
> using pointers to structures of different types. And yes, there are
> programs in the wild that rely on this (don't remember details... this
> was from previous life).
>
> Another thing to consider -- what about memset / memcpy / etc that
> inherently rely on type punning? If not inlined, they don't present
> problems for an optimizer -- probably shouldn't be considered as
> aliasing rules violation?

Good point. You (likely) wouldn't want to compile your memcpy / memset /
etc. implementations with the TBAA sanitizer enabled (or we'd need to
provide an attribute to disable it for certain functions). If they only
use char* themselves, then it's fine, but if not, that's implementation
magic. However, memset, etc. does need to be able to 'unset' the type of
memory and memcpy needs to be able to copy types (at least for PODs).
The sanitizer would need to hook them for that purpose.

  -Hal